Re: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 05:05:25 -0400

    > Sounds like a terrible idea to me.  Working with X11-over-DSL means that
    > timing is rather unreliable.  Same thing with heavy-swapping (as happens
    > when a I do `tla star-merge' :-( ).

    True, but the worst thing that can happen (if you use a positive
    value) is that the click sets the point rather than follows the link

If the timing can be distorted, it can be distorted in either
direction.  However, we don't see a lot of complaints that double
click doesn't work, so maybe it is not a serious problem.

    Hm, true, but at least on X, the timestamps are recorded by the X
    server, so it's not depending on emacs getting any cycles to process
    the clicks.

That seems to imply there is no real problem of this kind.
It was useful to consider the question, though.