RE: $HOME default on w32

From: Jay Finger
Subject: RE: $HOME default on w32
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 19:40:49 -0700

I think that what you really want is to use SHGetFolderPath() to get the
path to the directory you want.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/pla
tform/shell/reference/functions/shgetfolderpath.asp

Probably the correct constant to use is CSIDL_PERSONAL, which is the user's
"My Documents" folder.

It is not safe to assume that these well-known folders are somewhere under
c:\documents and settings, or even under $USERPROFILE, as in a networked
environment they may get redirected to someplace so that users can have a
common store.

jay