Re: gnus/html2text.el

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: gnus/html2text.el
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:24:20 -0500 (CDT)

Stefan Monnier wrote:

   Nice theory.  And next thing you know reality strikes:
   when you modify code do you first remove all "with-no-warnings", recompile,
   check the output and then put the with-no-warnings back in?

Depends.  If the code change is trivial, I would just be extra careful
inside the `with-no-warnings'.  If it is extensive, I would indeed
temporarily remove the `with-no-warnings'.  But the latter should very
rarely happen: `with-no-warnings' is not supposed to cover a large
chunk of code anyway.

How substantive a change is one going to make to
`(with-no-warnings (beginning-of-buffer))'?

I believe that a much bigger problem is that many people do not pay
any attention to compiler warnings.

If one runs `make bootstrap' one gets an endless litany of one
compiler warning after the other, that no one apparently ever paid any
attention to.

Sincerely,

Luc.