Re: Moving files from lisp/gnus/ to lisp/net/?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Moving files from lisp/gnus/ to lisp/net/?
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 06:47:35 -0400

It occurs to me that paranoid people might be worried about saving
passwords in a cache like this.  What do people know about that issue?

The text added to the manual is clear enough.  I have some issues
about the substance:

     -- Function: read-passwd prompt &optional confirm default
         This function reads a password, prompting with PROMPT.  It does
         not echo the password as the user types it; instead, it echoes `.'
         for each character in the password.

This ought to use the cache now, but the text does not say so.

(Later): It looks like all you did was move read-passwd into
password.el without changing it.  What I suggested was to integrate
read-passwd into this file--which means, make it use the cache.

There is no sense in moving read-passwd into the new file without
making it use the new file's facilities.  That change only causes
password.el to be loaded for programs that don't use the cache.
It provides no benefit.

So if its definition is to remain unchanged, it should stay in subr.el
where it is preloaded.  But I would rather see it move to password.el
and *take advantage of the facilities of password.el*.

Can this be done?

     -- Function: password-read prompt key
         Read a password from the user, using `read-passwd', prompting with
         PROMPT.  If a password has been stored in the password cache,
         using `password-cache-add' on the same KEY, it is returned
         directly, without querying the user.

Once read-passwd uses the cache, won't password-read be obsolete?

Why have both password-read and password-read-and-add?
Why not always add?  Is the idea that for some purposes
it is ok to cache, but for others it is too risky?