Re: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:24:40 +0200

>     I don't really want to add any message there -- if we leave the feature
>     disabled by default, the users who turn it on doesn't need to be told
>     how to get the alternative behaviour.
>
> What's the point of adding it if it will be disabled by default?

Personally, I think it should be enabled by default, but I felt some
general resistance towards this feature building up, so I was just
being defensive :-)

> Only for people with two-button mice?  These are not common with
> GNU/Linux are they?

They are common on laptops (installing GNU/Linux on it didn't seem to
add the missing button :-)

> I thought the whole point was that beginning users would not know
> about Mouse-2 and find Emacs harder to use as a result.  The only
> way the feature can address this is if it is on by default.

Agree.

> We're looking for ways to make the default Emacs behavior better;
> any options are a secondary matter.

The problem is to agree on what the behaviour should be...