Re: The doc-strings for car and cdr are insulting.

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: The doc-strings for car and cdr are insulting.
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:12:07 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Stallman" <address@hidden>
To: "Alan Mackenzie" <address@hidden>

:     How about something like the following, changing "LIST" to "CONS", and
:     using "lhs" and "rhs":
:
:     "car is a built-in function.
:      (car CONS)
:
:      Return the \"left hand side\" of CONS.  If CONS is nil, return nil.
:      If CONS is a list, the car is its first element.
:      Error if arg is not nil and not a cons cell.  See also `car-safe'."
:
:     and
:
:     "cdr is a built-in function.
:      (cdr CONS)
:
:     Return the \"right hand side\" of CONS.  If CONS is nil, return nil.
:     If CONS is a list, the cdr is the list without its first element.
:     Error if arg is not nil and not a cons cell.  See also `cdr-safe'."
:
: These are good.

As someone who just recently learned elisp I have to agree. Much better than
the old version. It was just by chance I happened to find out about CONS.
(Like most "users" I only read the manual when I have too ;-) This will be a
quicker road to learn.

Actually I would like some links saying for more info see the Elisp Info
pages, pointing to some relevant page there. (But I guess that is not
something for now.)

- Lennart