Re: autoload failure

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: autoload failure
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 23:56:48 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Rumney" <address@hidden>

: It is quite early in the bootstrap process and I don't know how many
: dependancies w32-fns.el will pull in, and whether Emacs is ready to
: load those dependencies before the autoloads file is generated.

In what ways could this disturb the building process? Could it be disturbed
even if loading w32-fns.el succeeds?

: You are welcome to try though.

I will try. But it takes me some time on this computer ;-(

: > I believe that with a small change in convert-standard-filename we could
: > also make it possible to use MSYS to build Emacs. (Just look for
: > "/\\(a-zA-Z\\)/".)
:
: Does MSYS fail at the same point? (It fails right at the start for me,
: so I think there is more work than just that).

Yes, it fails at the same point I believe. It does not fail exactly in the
same way, but still at the same point. Actually MSYS avoids half of the
problem I believe, but it does not help. (The filename that is a single
argument is given to Emacs in w32 format, but the one inside eval is not.
There is no way for MSYS to do that - unless it understands elisp ;-)

It however hangs right at the beginning if not the GNU make that comes with
MSYS is used. The problem is that make calls "cmd echo" in that case. I do
not know how MSYS makes avoids this, but it does not hang. (Maybe it sends
"cmd /c echo" which would be correct? Documentation for MSYS is not very
extensive.)

- Lennart