Re: library-specific customization files?

From: Stefan
Subject: Re: library-specific customization files?
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 20:16:43 -0400

> 4. It would be good for a user to be able to (optionally) save
> customizations to separate files that he can easily associate with their
> corresponding standard library files. For instance, ps-print customizations
> might be saved to custom-ps-print.el, while dired customizations might be
> saved to custom-dired.el. All of these user customizations could be placed
> in the same directory. They could all be loaded by default.

Usually the namespace prefix and the sorting end up separating the various
packages in the custom-file already (which is admittedly not the same as
a separation into various files, but already shows some amount of
structure).  I think it would be better to extand the custom-theme support
so the user can use some other grouping than just "one per package".

In any case I strongly suspect that 99% of those people who might care about
the structure of their custom-file can and do write their .emacs by
hand instead.

> 5. We might also consider automatically creating a single byte-compiled
> version of the collection of custom-*.el files (rather than multiple
> compiled files - to save load time).

Compiling config files is at best pointless.

        Stefan