Re: how-many/count-matches for non-interactive use

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: how-many/count-matches for non-interactive use
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 03:53:52 -0500

I've gone through most of the files in subdirectories.
A few files I didn't handle but instead sent mail to their maintainers.
I checked the rest, and found many incorrect calls to interactive-p.

I fixed all of them except for the calls to help-setup-xref.
(I checked in some of these files but did not have time for all.)

I found that advice.el and another file that modify existing code
couldn't be fixed by adding an argument.  So I decided it was
necessary to add a function called-interactively-p for them.  I was
able to check in the documentation for this, but not yet the code.

I did not fix the calls to help-setup-xref, but I've concluded that
they all need to be fixed.  It is not right for this decision to be
affected by whether a keyboard macro is running.  I think the easiest
fix is to change all of those cases to call called-interactively-p.

Could someone offer to do that, after I check that function in?