Re: intern-soft, find-face/get-face, and facep for determining faces' de

From: Brian Palmer
Subject: Re: intern-soft, find-face/get-face, and facep for determining faces' definedness
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 02:21:10 -0700

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 18:08:17 +0900, Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote:
> Brian Palmer <address@hidden> writes:
> > If find-face in emacs didn't return a face object, it wouldn't be
> > doing a very good job of compatibility, now.
>
> What's a "face object" in Emacs?  [Indeed, what's a "face object" in Xemacs?]

I don't really know.  Some object that contains all of the required
face attributes,
I'm assuming. E.g.,

(get-face 'bold)
#<face bold "Bold text.">

So basically the difference between a buffer and a buffer-name. But I haven't
looked at the C code implementing faces

> Given that Xemacs has a differing definition of facep requiring one to
> use `find-face' instead, would an Emacs version:
>
>    (defun find-face (face) (and (facep face) face))
>
> do the job?

I think so, as long as emacs allows a face-name everywhere a face is
permitted.