Re: GTK emacs (and access to GTK)

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: GTK emacs (and access to GTK)
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 23:28:18 +0100

Nic Ferrier wrote:
I started to use GTK emacs a few months ago... Life was a bit busy so
I forgot to say "the GTK port of Emacs is brilliant!"

So I'm going to say it now:

The GTK port of Emacs is brilliant.

Well done to everybody involved in hacking it.

Thank you.

A related question: what are the views about allowing Emacs to create
GTK objects directly?
I know it is generally frowned upon to export native window system
primitives into Emacs but because GTK is a GNU lib maybe there could
be an exception.
William Perry already wrote some code for XEmacs which could maybe
serve as a guide?

  http://www.cs.indiana.edu/elisp/gui-xemacs/

I haven't looked at that code, so I can't say how much effort there is to do this. It is something for the future, and has some advantages. For example, Emacs could make its own file dialog where things like tramp works.

        Jan D.