Re: alarm_signal_handler is called too frequently

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: alarm_signal_handler is called too frequently
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 12:04:03 -0500

    y-or-n-p-with-timeout will pop up a dialog when invoked with the
    mouse (i.e.  tool or menu bar).  And yes, it will not time out.
    It never did for GTK or Mac OSX BTW, as they do not process timers
    if a dialog is popped up.

    Currently there are no such menu or tool bar entries, but I guess
    other packages may add such an item.

I think we either should implement y-or-n-p-with-timeout correctly or
give up on doing so.  If we give up, we should mark it obsolete now.

Which do people think we should do?

    But I was wondering if the differences in how dialogs and menus
    are invoked may make a difference.  A menu is invoked as a result
    of a KeyPress, which arrives in the signal handler.

Are you thinking of the menu bar?  I think this code is concerned only
with popup menus; they are invoked with x-popup-menu, which is
analogous to x-popup-dialog.  So it has nothing to do with KeyPress.