Re: Current CVS doesn't bootstrap

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Current CVS doesn't bootstrap
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 12:07:20 -0600 (CST)

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

   >    The last portion of the Make output is attached below.  I worked
   >    around the problem by doing a "make maintainer-clean" and then
   >    "make bootstrap".
   >
   >    Any ideas, anyone?
   >
   > I believe we discussed this before.

   Can you point me to these discussions?  The only one I found by
   searching the archives was inconclusive (because the problem
   disappeared and the OP couldn't reproduce it anymore).

To avoid confusion:  I was talking about removing or not removing
.elc files at the beginnning of bootstrapping.

We discussed this in the thread that started talking about this at:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-09/msg00151.html

That one concrete message in question is characteristic of the fact
that many (I believe most) people mistakenly seem to believe that
`make bootstrap" and "certainly" `make distclean' do remove all .elc
files.

Sincerely,

Luc.