Re: Current CVS doesn't bootstrap

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Current CVS doesn't bootstrap
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 19:38:35 +0100

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> I have a 1.7 dual Xeon.  That was a pretty fast machine when I
> bought it three years ago, but today, just about any computer I see
> advertised is faster and you can easily get something twice as fast.

If you pay for it.  My laptop is a 600MHz single Pentium III, and my
desktop is a 200MHz AMD K6II.

Both are perfectly fine running Emacs/LaTeX and quite a few add-ons
(including the interactive preview-latex) for text processing.  There
is little point in acquiring more demanding hardware (and in the
laptop area, you nowadays have to choose between ridiculously small
and ridiculously heavy ones, either completely unsuitable for work or
for transportation).  And I am living in a country with quite more
than average income when compared with the rest of the world that
could be interested in running Emacs.