Re: Current CVS doesn't bootstrap

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Current CVS doesn't bootstrap
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 13:33:56 -0600 (CST)

David Kastrup wrote:

   If you pay for it.  My laptop is a 600MHz single Pentium III, and my
   desktop is a 200MHz AMD K6II.

There are two points I wanted to make:

1.  The main recommended procedure described in INSTALL.CVS does not
remove the .elc files.  It only recommends to do `make bootstrap' in
case of problems.  But the current version of `make bootstrap' is not
likely to solve these problems, most of which are caused by failing to
recompile .el files.

2.  The second point I was trying to make, which I guess is what you
reacted to, is that for people that _do_ have reasonably fast
machines, _always_ doing a `make maintainer-clean' might be better
than the procedure recommended in INSTALL.CVS.  It can save many
people a lot of time worrying about fake bugs.  If you do have
resources, you might as well take advantage of them.

INSTALL.CVS already describes a procedure for people with slower
computers to use.  The proposed `make bootstrap-build' would preserve
the current `make-bootstrap' behavior as a second alternative for slow
computers.

But currently people are mislead into believing that `make bootstrap'
is guaranteed to produce something completely equivalent to a fresh
checkout.  This very far from the case with the current version.

Sincerely,

Luc.