Re: Current CVS doesn't bootstrap

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Current CVS doesn't bootstrap
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 14:21:00 -0600 (CST)

David Kastrup wrote:

   Well, if that were the points you were trying to make, you watered
   them down unnecessarily with introducing your hardware.

I did that to give concrete idea of the times that were involved on
fast computers, with concrete numbers.

   It is ok to tell people what bargains in reliability versus
   performance they can make.  It is not ok to assume that performance
   may never be an issue.

I believe that in my proposed patch to INSTALL.CVS, I did the former
and not the latter.  Both in my patch and in my preceding remarks I
mentioned that the OS may only be able to run one job at a time, in
which case performance is obviously a big issue.

I believe that you read things in my message that were not in there.

Maybe part of my message implied a conjecture that the majority of new
computers bought _today_ would be fast enough.  Maybe that conjecture
was wrong, but anyway, it is irrelevant since people do not buy a new
computer every year.  The only conclusion I made out of that was that
it would be good to mention the _possibility_ of always using `make
maintainer-clean', since the number of people for which it makes sense
is already non-trivial and will be growing over time.

Sincerely,

Luc.