Re: a suggested solution for better external' completion in certain emac

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: a suggested solution for better external' completion in certain emacs modes
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 09:37:21 +0000

")

>     Emacs sends: (rl_complete "select * from ")
>
>     psql/Readline accepts the command, performs it and then:
>
> That I can understand.  I think there needs to be some sort of quoting
> convention, so that real user input can be distinguished from commands
> to Readline itself.
>
> I don't understand why there needs to be more than one command.  What
> is it that Emacs needs to do other than use rl_complete?

What about history? Emacs' comint mode keeps quite a small history by
default and also doesn't save the history in a file, many Readline
programs do offer this.

If one used a quoting convention as you suggested then only one or two
commands would be necessary.

A quoting convention would be quite neat... but the trouble is it's
difficult to choose a quote.

So I was proposing a completly new way of communicating with
Readline.

But maybe I should look again at a quoting convention.

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk