Re: auto-coding-function for LaTeX

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: auto-coding-function for LaTeX
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 21:51:09 +0100

On Fri, Nov 12 2004, Arne Jørgensen wrote:

> None of the coding systems you added are present in my Emacs. So why
> add them? To make it easier for a user to customized when/if they are
> added? Or are they present in your Emacs?

All mentioned cp* codings are available, but not by default, see `M-x
codepage-setup RET TAB TAB'.  I don't know if there is some mechanism
in Emacs call `codepage-setup' automatically.

I'm not sure about the cp437 vs. cp437de issue (β = \beta vs. ß = \ss
= S SHARP).  Maybe this is good enough, see [1].  It seems that both,
`code-pages.el' and `codepage.el', use S SHARP.

> The re-search-forward searches until position 1000.  Should that
> number be customizable? The functions in `auto-coding-alist' get an
> argument of 249 for number of positions to search, but I think that
> is not enough for LaTeX files.

Yes, a limit of 249 surely is not enough for typical LaTeX files.
Maybe the search could stop either at a certain number or when
"\begin{document}" was found.  It should also be checked that the
"inputenc cookie" isn't a LaTeX comment.

If your code cannot be integrated in Emacs, I would propose to add it
to AUCTeX.

Bye, Reiner.

[1] See e.g. this article by Markus Kuhn in a German newsgroup:

,----[ Translation of the most relevant part: ]
`----

,----[ Original article: ]

`----