Re: a suggested solution for better external' completion in certain emac

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: a suggested solution for better external' completion in certain emacs modes
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:25:14 -0500

    > If you are using comint, you have all the history in Emacs.
    > The history commands do not need to interact with the program.

    But comint's history is not as functional as the history provided by
    some Readline programs:

That's too bad, but if you're in comint, you get comint's history
feature.  That is the only thing that makes sense.  However, we could
arrange for comint to save history from one invocation to the next, if
that is desired.

    No. I think they would go through the pty to the subprogram. I was
    suggesting that Readline would stop seeing the pty as a pty and treat
    it more like a stream.

What exactly would tell Readline to start treating the pty that way?
That is, how does Readline know it is time to read a completion
command rather than a line of input?