Re: iso-2022-7bit saving char-composition

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: iso-2022-7bit saving char-composition
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 10:57:31 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> Is it right that iso-2022-7bit saves character composition properties in
> the file?

It is right at least for backward compatibility.  For
instance, the package diclookup (tool for reading electric
dictionary) decodes and parses an dictionary entry and
attaches composition properties for showing various special
symbols correctly (e.g. "U" surrounded by a square meaning
"uncountable").  Now, a user can save that buffer with
iso-2022-7bit, read it later, and see those symbols shown in
the same way as when saved.

> I find it inconvenient (I use font-lock to place char-composition properties
> to do things like display -> as an actual arrow and I don't want those
> things to be saved).

You can save the file in the different coding system such as
utf-8.  Or,
  (coding-system-put 'iso-2022-7bit 'composition nil)
disables composition-handling in iso-2022-7bit.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden