Re: completing-read case problem

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: completing-read case problem
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 21:19:34 +0100

Kevin Rodgers <address@hidden> writes:

> Lennart Borgman wrote:
>> Case insensitive please! (I am using ms windows so I am biased by my
>> habits in this case, but I would believe that a lot of users like case
>> insensitive handling. Compare with mail-addresses for example, they
>> are since long not case sensitive.)
>
> Internet mail addresses are defined by IETC RFCs, and have always been
> case insensitive.  They have as much to do with the matter at hand as
> whether or not file names in different file systems are case sensitive:
> nothing.

If I recall the RFCs correctly, the right hand side of e-mail
addresses are indeed case insensitive, but whether the left hand side
of e-mail addresses are case sensitive or not, is up to each domain.
For example, address@hidden does not necessarily equal address@hidden  This
means that, in general, case must be preserved.

What is relevant to this discussion is, I guess, that deciding between
case sensitive and case insensitive is a trade-off, and there is no
clear answer.