Re: Unknown option `--no-desktop'

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Unknown option `--no-desktop'
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 22:24:32 +0000 (UTC)

   I'm not sure i understand what you mean.  I suppose you start
   'emacs --no-desktop' and have some lines in your .emacs that
   load/save your desktop.

Right.  In fact, the `--no-desktop' option means that a desktop is
loaded, contrary to the documentation.

It also means, as separate issue, that even though I have specified
`no desktop', I am asked about saving a desktop when I quit Emacs.

    You think those lines should not load/save your desktop when
    --no-desktop was specified?

Yes.  My understanding is that `Hairy startup options' (as the Emacs
manual calls them) override .emacs files.

   I think it would be wrong.  When i start emacs with --no-desktop
   then yes it should not load any saved desktop.

But it does.  This is one problem.  I agree with you, it should not.

   But then later when a "desktop-save" command is issued (no matter
   if via M-x or .emacs) i expect emacs to do just that.

There is a time issue:  if I were to load the .emacs before the
--no-desktop option, I would expect *all* the desktop related
functions to be turned off.  If I ran `M-x desktop-save' after first
turning all the functions off, I would expect the functions to be
autoloaded and the `desktop-save' function to be executed.

(Actually, the order in which you write args in a command line should
not matter.  In this case, the start up option should overrule the
.emacs file.  This provides a straightforward sequence: start up
options overrule a personal .emacs file which overrules the default.
But after start up, you can do anything.)

If Emacs does not behave this way (or even when it does) the actions
(whatever they be) should be documented in a non-confusing manner.

My preference is that the `Hairy startup options' options work as I
expect them to.  And they be documented.

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8