Re: Changes to lisp/progmodes/idlw-*.el

From: JD Smith
Subject: Re: Changes to lisp/progmodes/idlw-*.el
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 09:12:41 -0700

On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 01:33, Miles Bader wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just noticed these changes in CVS, with the following log entry:
>
>    Updated to IDLWAVE version 5.5.  See idlwave.org
>
> A few little nits:
>
>   (1) When you update files in the Emacs sources from an external copy,
>       _do not_ just "drop in" your latest version -- there may be
>       changes to the Emacs copy that will be lost if you do that.
>
>       Instead, either apply a patch from your old version to your new
>       version to the emacs copy, or generate a patch in the emacs tree
>       from the last time you merged to the current date, and apply that
>       patch to your copy before committing it.

I figured this would catch some attention.  I do apologize for the huge
change dump, but idlwave receives much more active development in an
external community than is possible within Emacs.  I do track your
changes regularly, and aside from the RCS, had included everything.  In
particular, RMS recently contacted me about incorrect usage of
interactive-p, which is included in this version.  I would be eager ot
hear of any other changes I inadvertently lost; it was not my intention.

JD

>   (2) The new files have RCS keywords like:
>
>          ;; Date: $Date: 2004/11/17 05:54:20 $
>
>       Please do not use these in Emacs source files.  [As it happens,
>       one of Emacs changes lost when you dropped in your new version was
>       an RCS-keyword removal change.]
>
>   (3) Please provide at least a minimal ChangeLog entry accompanying
>       your changes.  [Maybe you just haven't committed it yet, but it's
>       been a few hours since your changes, so...]

I will update the Changelog.

JD