Re: progress reporting again

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: progress reporting again
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:26:38 -0500

>> > Can anyone who uses SES mode check if the following patch works
>> > fine?  I think it is generally a good idea to unify progress
>> > reporting as much as possible in Emacs.
>> >
>> > I didn't touch `ses-time-check' function, since progress messages
>> > used with it are non-standard.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I got the following error:
>>
>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function row)
>> row(3)
>> ses-setup()
>> ses-mode()

Probably becuse you've compiled ses.el with an Emacs that uses an old
subr.el.  You have to follow the steps:
- recompile subr.el.
- redump your Emacs.
- recompile ses.el.

> This is very strange, because I don't get this neither with
> your file, nor with a locally created junk/test file.  Can
> you please try to understand what's wrong?  Since it doesn't
> complain about `dotimes-with-progress-reporter' being unknown,
> the macro is evaluated.  But it fails to expand it...

No, it's not expanded.  Evaluation of the arguments takes place before the
funcall, so you first get the `row' error before even getting a chance to
complain that the "function" dotimes-with-progress-reporter is a macro.

        Stefan