Re: printing.el again

From: Vinicius Jose Latorre
Subject: Re: printing.el again
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 23:53:42 -0200

Stefan wrote:

Maybe this should be documented in Emacs Lisp Reference or in other
suitable info, probably Byte Compiler Users Guide. Also other
byte-compiler optimizations should be documented.

Actually, I don't think optimizations should be particularly mentioned.
The interesting part of optimizing (featurep 'xemacs) is that it eliminates
spurious warnings. There are other ways to get the same effect, such as
what is done with (if (fboundp 'foo) ...) where the test is not optimized
away, but where warnings are selectively prevented.

I think a chapter on "eliminating warnings" is in order to document the use of (featurep 'xemacs), (fboundp 'foo), (defvar foo), (with-no-warning ...), ...

Well, I think it's important to know the optimizations we can use or not and when.

Does the byte-compiler try to optimize featurep in general or only the pattern (featurep 'xemacs) is optimized?

That is, if I have a code which test (featurep 'some-package) and some-package is not loaded, does the byte-compiler eliminate the code associated with this test?

Vinicius