Re: defconst

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: defconst
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 21:25:38 -0500

    I believe it would be better if `defconst' behaved like `defconstant'
    in CLISP: throw an error if the user or a program tries to change the
    value through anything else but a second defconst.

That is a drastic change, and I see no need for it.  Practically
speaking, nothing disastrous happens if you change it with setq.
There is no need to make it an error.  So I will not change this.

Please don't suggest such major changes now.  Our goal now is to aim
for a release.

Please let's direct effort at checking the documentation and fixing
the bugs listed in FOR-RELEASE, so we can have a release.