Re: cc-mode adds newlines

From: Andries Brouwer
Subject: Re: cc-mode adds newlines
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 16:20:31 +0100

On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 04:07:32PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> Andries Brouwer <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 01:52:49PM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> >
> >> And some will want it t in C Mode and nil in Text Mode, and really
> >> don't want to be bothered answering the question "Add one? (y or
> >> n)" twenty times a day.
> >
> > Possibly. So far we have not discovered such users.
>
> So what am I?  An alien?  I already told you that I want just that
> behavior.

OK. That letter never reached my mailbox. What came into my
mailbox was

  >> Must I assume from your reaction that you do require separate
  >> require-final-newline and c-require-final-newline variables?

  > I was fine already with the previous behavior that unconditionally
  > sets require-final-newline in C modes.  But I don't mind that for the
  > likes of you a customization variable c-require-final-newline has been
  > added.

which is a rather different statement.
But now you confirm Alan Mackenzie's claim that there exists at least
one person who needs distinct require-final-newline and
c-require-final-newline variables. Surprising, but OK.

> In the interest of a civilized discussion,

Must I remind you again... Please - we talk about emacs.

Andries