Re: comint-prompt-read-only causes problems in Gnus message mode

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: comint-prompt-read-only causes problems in Gnus message mode
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 12:04:24 -0600 (CST)

Harald Maier wrote:

   | There are text properties here:
   |   font-lock-face       [comint-highlight-prompt]
   |   inhibit-line-move-field-capture t
   |   rear-nonsticky       t
   |   fontified            t
   |   front-sticky         (read-only)
   `----

   I don't know if this is correct but it seems read-only is still there.

No.  The value of the _front-sticky_ property is still (read-only),
which only will start to matter if you make the text read-only again.
That is, the text no longer has the read-only property, but if you
make it read-only, then characters added in front of it after you made
it read-only will also be read-only.

The above fact seems like a shortcoming of yank-excluded-properties,
or of its default value.

Maybe rear-nonsticky and front-sticky should be in
yank-excluded-properties themselves.  The text is likely to be yanked
into another context and in that context, the old stickiness may no
longer be desirable.

Sincerely,

Luc.