Re: cc-mode adds newlines

From: Andries Brouwer
Subject: Re: cc-mode adds newlines
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 22:19:01 +0100

On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 08:03:55PM +0100, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>    > >You see - nobody wants c-require-final-newline.
>    >
>    > Untrue - Alfred M. Szmidt, for one, wants it.
>
>    Did he tell you in private mail? To me he wrote
>
>      "It is not relevant what I want"
>
> I told this on this mailing list, that you are incapable reading, is
> really not my problem.
>
> To quote myself:
>
> ,----
> |    > Feel free to change the setting in your .emacs.
> |
> |    That is the typical defensive developer reaction that makes sure
> |    bugs stay for a long time.
> |
> | I suppose that it didn't occur to you that this might not be a bug?
> | But something that Miles, and the rest of the world, actually thinks
> | is a good idea.  I for one consider it a good thing, and consider
> | files that do not have a final newline broken.
> `----

Enough has been said already, and I consider the discussion over.
We know what is wrong. Maybe it will be fixed.

The current setup is broken because it does things behind the user's back.

It is also broken because the CC major mode is documented as
"C mode: Major mode for editing K&R and ANSI C code",
while K&R C is explicitly documented as not requiring
a final newline. That makes the case for C not stronger than
the case for java where no sneaky insertions are done by default.

But now that you query my reading comprehension - let me explain to you
that I distinguish carefully between people who want all their edited
files to end in a newline (and then setting require-final-newline to true
suffices) and people who do not want that, but do want all edited
C files to get an automatic final newline.

The part you quote suggests that you might belong to the former
category, and when I enquired further, to be sure, you said
that your personal opinion was not relevant.

Thus, so far you never stated that you actually do want a
c-require-final-newline different from require-final-newline,
more or less contradicting the part you quote here.

But after a little provocation people will find themselves
with opinions they never imagined they could have :-)

Good luck - Andries