Re: cc-mode adds newlines

From: Andries Brouwer
Subject: Re: cc-mode adds newlines
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:54:33 +0100

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 12:54:24PM +0100, Benjamin Riefenstahl wrote:

> > It is also broken because the CC major mode is documented as "C
> > mode: Major mode for editing K&R and ANSI C code", while K&R C is
> > explicitly documented as not requiring a final newline.
>
> You mean the K&R book explicitly said so in it's pre-standard edition?

I do not have the K&R book here. I quoted an earlier source that I
do have here. Google also finds it various places on the web, e.g. at
http://www.freaknet.org/martin/tape/stuff/docs/cman/cman1

"Blanks, tabs, newlines, and comments as described below
are ignored except as they serve to separate tokens."

[C Reference Manual, Dennis M. Ritchie, May 1, 1977.
Reprinted in "The C Programming language" by BWK & DMR, 1978.]

> Naturally there is not really a standard definition of pre-standard C.
> From what I know about C89, like most restrictions, the requirement of
> a final newline was most likely made because one or more compilers
> required it that were already implemented and used before the
> standard.

Yes.

Andries