Re: $USERPROFILE for $HOME on W32

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: $USERPROFILE for $HOME on W32
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:47:53 +0000

> In any case, if we suspect $HOME is always set on Cygwin, adding it to
> the list won't do any harm.

It will if $HOME is set to "C:/" deliberately and .emacs does not
exist yet. This applies on the native Windows build as well, which is
another reason why it would be better to do this in the same place as
HOME is set to C:/ (whether we move this to C, or move the current
code to Lisp, I have no preference) and do it if HOME is unset rather
than if HOME is set to "C:/".

I don't think Cygwin has code to default HOME to "C:/" (the cygwin path
would be /cygdrive/c/ anyway), if it does then it should probably be
"/home" or "/home/$USER" anyway, making it $USERPROFILE does not fit
with the Cygwin way of doing things.