RE: vc-state always calls heuristic function

From: Andre Spiegel
Subject: RE: vc-state always calls heuristic function
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 13:00:45 +0100

On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 12:04 +0100, address@hidden wrote:

> If i have understood you right - there is currently no really
> acceptable way (concering performance) to display in a file-browser
> icons which always reflect the real (not heuristic) state of a file,
> right?

The only way to get this information is to call "cvs status", and that
is indeed unacceptably slow if you do it for every display update.
There might be a clever shortcut looking at the RCS master files if the
repository is local, but we never thought it was worth the trouble.

If you decide that vc-recompute-state would suit your needs after all
(and your case is convincing :-) then please let me know and we can
place it into vc-hooks.el (or autoload it).