Window/buffer management in gdb-ui

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Window/buffer management in gdb-ui
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:59:41 -0500

The window-/buffer management in gdb-ui is not working well in my setup.
And the code in gdb-ui looks pretty frightening.  E.g. things like:

   (defun dedicated-switch-to-buffer (name)
     (set-window-dedicated-p
      (get-buffer-window
       (switch-to-buffer name)) t))

make me cringe:
- messes up the namespace
- it changes the currently selected window and makes it dedicated
  (because we know that (get-buffer-window (switch-to-buffer name))
   is always equal to (selected-window))

I understand that maybe my setup is not representative, but maybe if you
could describe what behavior you're trying to get, I can help you come up
with a way to code it that doesn't plays nicely in my situation.

I.e. what is the behavior you're trying to get.  You can describe it with
a mix of description of how *you* want it plus some examples of problematic
behaviors you'd like to avoid (i.e. bug-reports).

As for my own setup, I use 1 buffer per frame and 1 frame per buffer with
a separate dedicated minibuffer.  In my setup, any code that uses
`switch-to-buffer' is a pain in the rear.

        Stefan