Re: Window/buffer management in gdb-ui

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Window/buffer management in gdb-ui
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 11:07:47 -0500

>> But now that I look at the code a bit more closely, I think I see where I'm
>> suffering the most: it's in gdb-display-buffer.  Could you explain to me why
>> `display-buffer' is not doing what you want?

> gdb-display-buffer was part of gdba.el. It did extra things like not replace
> the window with the GUD buffer with new content. Perhaps display-buffer could
> be used but now I make new gdb-related windows dedicated here

Why do you make the window dedicated.  I think a window should only be made
dedicated when it's created.  If you take a preexisting window that
potentially shows any buffer (even unrelated to GDB-UI) and make it
dedicated it'll screw things up sooner or later.

>> Also, would it be possible to introduce a variable to prevent displaying the
>> ASM code (when debugging C code, I prefer not to see anything than to be
>> shown a piece of assembly when I'm in the middle of some libc-internal
>> routine)?
> Yes, I have thought that too. I'll put it on my TODO list.

Great minds think alike ;-)

>> Here is also a patch that might give a flavor of the direction I'd like to
>> go w.r.t buffer/window management.  Please commit the parts which seem to
>> work in your setup.  They help mine.

> It doesn't seem to interfere with the setups that I'm thinking of, so I've
> installed these changes. I don't really know what the change below does
> but gdb-frame-breakpoints-buffer is one of a family of commands accessible
> from the menubar (GUD->GDB Frames->...) so should these be changed also?

I think so, yes.
What it does is that it allows users to specify the behavior they want in
special-display-regexp or special-display-buffer-names.

        Stefan