Re: [Emacs-trunk-diffs] Changes to emacs/src/sysdep.c

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-trunk-diffs] Changes to emacs/src/sysdep.c
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 16:09:04 -0500

> I haven't been following the thread, but it seems to have led
> to a change in sysdep.c that seems unfortunate.

> Until now, there has been no quitting inside writing a file,
> which means that the file can't end up truncated as a result
> of quitting.

Hmm... what happens if you hit C-g while writing a file?
How does Emacs prevent truncation in the normal code?
Does it bind inhibit-quit (in which case it should work just fine with the
new code as well)?

> What was the reason for this change?  What problem is it meant to solve?

Being able to interrupt a write if it's blocking for a long time (like
write to an NFS server that's down).

        Stefan