Re: kmacro.texi

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: kmacro.texi
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:53:21 +0100

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> I propose the following changes to man/kmacro.texi.  If they look OK,

They are _really_ good.  Thanks.

> I believe that `(emacs)Keyboard Macro Counter' and `(emacs)Keyboard
> Macro Step-Edit' are specialized sections and should be moved to
> emacs-xtra.  Would that be OK?

Since macros are the "poor mans" Lisp functions, I think the macro
counter is an important feature of macros (personally, I use them
quite often), so unless there are strong reasons to omit them,
I think they should be described in the printed manual.

It's ok to move the step-edit part to emacs-xtra.

> I have left `(emacs)Keyboard Macro Step-Edit' unchanged,
> but `(emacs)Edit Keyboard Macro' already explains, much more briefly,
> an easier to learn alternative way to edit kmacros.

True.

> We also decided some moths ago that it would be good to move
> kmacro.texi back to after the discussion of key bindings and related
> topics, which `(emacs)Save Keyboard Macro' heavily relies on.  Is this
> still OK?  Currently, `(emacs)Save Keyboard Macro' is nearly
> impossible to understand for a reader reading the manual back to
> front.

IIRC, I moved it to its current position (near text editing, search
and replace, etc) because macros basically is more related to
"repeating the same editing" than about key bindings and
customization.

But I wont object to the move if you think that gives a better flow.

> I submit a patch without those "moving around" changes, because I want
> to separate that from the actual content changes in the patch below.

I suggest you install these changes in the current position -- and do
the moves in a separate change.