Re: [Emacs-trunk-diffs] Changes to emacs/src/sysdep.c

From: Stefan
Subject: Re: [Emacs-trunk-diffs] Changes to emacs/src/sysdep.c
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 08:08:37 -0500

>     BTW, is a 2MB file is currently written with a single call to `write'?

> Sometimes it can be, I think; however, in general Fwrite_file can call
> `write' many times.  However, there was no use of QUIT in and among
> them.

I see, thanks.

>     I always felt like there should be a way to force an immediate_quit, not
>     only is `write'.  Maybe by hitting C-g three times in a row or something
>     like that.

> Hitting C-g twice activates the emergency escape, which is even more
> drastic than that.  However, this feature is only active on ttys.

I think what I want is exactly this emergency feature.  I.e. it should be
active not only in ttys.  (and it should ignore inhibit-quit, although
I expect it already does).  (tho, maybe doing it for just a "double C-g" is
excessive, I think it should require a more unusual trigger).

> So what do you think of the following idea?

>> Maybe we could get the best of both worlds if we set it up so that
>> quit can occur inside emacs_write only if it has been sitting there
>> for 30 seconds or more since the last data it succeeded in writing.

The idea sounds good, assuming you don't mean it to be specific to `write'.

        Stefan