Re: when to bind *down-mouse* vs *mouse*?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: when to bind *down-mouse* vs *mouse*?
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 20:06:32 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alex Schroeder" <address@hidden>

> When the action creates a popup menu, I think we want to bind it to
> the mouse-down event.  I seem to situations where the menu would
> disappear as soon as you released the mouse.  If you released the
> mouse on a menu item, that menu item has been "chosen" by the user.

I do not agree on this. The reason we do not agree is perhaps that I am
using MS Windows and you are not (I do not know what you are using)? On MS
Windows I believe it is standard that CLICKING mouse 2 brings up a popup
menu (if there is any). You can then use the keyboard or the mouse to choose
from this menu.

My impression of this "standard" is that it is good because you do not have
to use the mouse very much, which can be difficult for some people and for
some other is an unnecessary burden and a hazard. I believe that this could
be a reason for the choice MS has made here.

- Lennart