Re: Changes in the arg list for custom-set-variables - how should it be

From: Stephan Stahl
Subject: Re: Changes in the arg list for custom-set-variables - how should it behandled
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 12:19:02 +0100 (CET)

Hi Lennart.

Lennart Borgman said:

> I have seen that there are some changes in the arg list for
> custom-set-variables from the current Emacs to CVS Emacs. For example for
> global-font-lock-mode:
>
>     '(global-font-lock-mode t nil (font-lock))
>
> should be changed too
>
>     '(global-font-lock-mode t nil (font-core))
>
> Are the users supposed to take care of this or will Emacs be distributed
> with some code to take care of this? I have sketched some code to take care
> of this and if this is of interest I will finish it.

Cvs emacs does still work with '(global-font-lock-mode t nil (font-lock)) in
.emacs.  I have read something about it not being recommended (i think it was
some docstring) but i have seen nothing wrong with it.

An other thing is that when custom-set-variables fails to load the required
file the evaluation of .emacs stops.  I regularily use emacs 21.3 and cvs
emacs.  When cvs emacs changes (font-lock) to (font-core) emacs 21.3 will fail
to load .emacs.  Because of this i have ripped every line that requires a file
from custom-set-variable and use something like this instead:

(if (require 'rfn-eshadow "rfn-eshadow" t)
    (customize-set-variable 'file-name-shadow-mode t))

(if (or (require 'font-core "font-core" t)
        (require 'font-lock "font-lock" t))
    (customize-set-variable 'global-font-lock-mode t))

I think if some extra code is added to cvs emacs to handle those changed
requires this code should try not to break older emacsen :)
--
Stephan Stahl