Re: Customize custom-file is not useful as it works now

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Customize custom-file is not useful as it works now
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 09:38:51 -0500

    If you use customize-variable to change custom-file the value of custom-file
    will be stored in custom-file. This is of course not useful.

This doesn't do the job by itself, but if your .emacs loads that file,
it will take effect properly.  So it isn't simply wrong.

    What is needed is an entry in .emacs like (setq custom-file ".custom").

That isn't enough, is it?  To make the settings take effect, the user
has to load the file which is specified as custom-file.  But I hesitate
to recommend editing .emacs automatically to do this, since one of the
reasons people want to use a separate file is to avoid automatic editing
of .emacs.

So I documented these issues in the doc string of custom-file.