Re: Documentation for custom-file - is not (load custom-file) needed?

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Documentation for custom-file - is not (load custom-file) needed?
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 11:33:18 -0600 (CST)

Lennart Borgman wrote:

   ----- Original Message -----
   From: "John Paul Wallington" <address@hidden>

   > > I believe that (load custom-file) is needed in .emacs to get it to work,
   but
   > > the documentation does not say so.
   >
   > I don't think so.  Have you tested whether that is the case?
   >
   > AFAICT, Stefan added some code to startup.el on 2002-08-14 to load
   > custom-file if it hasn't been done in .emacs.

   Sorry, yes, you are right. custom-file is loaded after .emacs if not done
   before in CVS Emacs but not in the current release version. I missed that.

Yes, but how does it work?  As you pointed out in an earlier
posting, if you put all your customizations in CUSTOM-FILE, then
custom-file is customized in CUSTOM-FILE.  How can Stefan's code,
referred to above, figure out the value of custom-file?

So either you have to put:

(load CUSTOM-FILE)

or

(setq custom-file CUSTOM-FILE)

in your .emacs.  I do not immmediately see why the latter would be
easier or better.

Sincerely,

Luc.