Re: Customize custom-file is not useful as it works now

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Customize custom-file is not useful as it works now
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 20:40:15 -0500

    The editing I proposed shows the old entry if any in .emacs marked and asks
    the user whether to change it. It looks mostly like query replace, but with
    some more marking. (Though I forgot to add a question when adding.) This
    could all be made a bit nicer (it is just not quite finished yet) and I
    realize that many would not want automatic editing of .emacs. And it is a
    bit scary to do the editing too. However when the user is asked to accept
    the change and clearly shown what will be done it might perhaps be accepted
    by most users?

This seems like a good argument, so I guess we should try your change.