Re: Documentation for custom-file - is not (load custom-file) needed?

From: Stefan
Subject: Re: Documentation for custom-file - is not (load custom-file) needed?
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 08:04:40 -0500

> If you just set `custom-file' with a setq in the user's init file, the
> :set and :get functions will not be called when the user's init file
> is loaded.  So you will have to insert calls to named functions in the
> user's init file that can be updated whenever Custom changes, without
> need to update the user's init file.

> It seems a _lot_ cleaner to just put in a call to "load" in the user's
> init file and let `custom-set-variables' do all the work.

You might be right.  It does seem however that the :get and :set functions
don't need to do anything special.  And that's the problem: we need to do
something special (like move the big custom-set-variables block) when we
move the custom settings from one place (like .emacs) to another, not when
we set the custom-file variable.  The first happens extremely rarely, the
second would happen at every Emacs startup.

        Stefan