Re: why does occur depropertize matching lines?

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: why does occur depropertize matching lines?
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 23:40:24 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>> Yes, in heavily highlighted text bold doesn't stand out sufficiently.
>
> That's the problem: the highlight we copy from the source buffer
> might take *any* form.  It could very well be the exact same
> highlight used for by occur itself.

Most faces don't change background color.  Only very special faces
(that are very rarely used in buffers on which occur is usually
called) have background different from default.  So any face with
a different background would be visible among highlighted text with
no background.

> What we really want is to copy the face info from the source but "dim" it
> a bit so it doesn't overshadow occur's own highlighting.

There is one problem with dimmed faces: they might be not readable,
especially for visually impaired users.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/