Re: [Emacs-trunk-diffs] Changes to emacs/etc/NEWS

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-trunk-diffs] Changes to emacs/etc/NEWS
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 00:06:50 -0500

> t as the condition means "or else", as it used to, as
> people would expect.  nil as the condition means "default",
> attributes to be shared by all the conditions.

I don't find the merged behavior we have right now unclean at all:
The `t' simply means: "default from now on".

If it's in the last position, the "default from now on" degenerates of
course into "else" and if it's in the first position it degenerates into
"default for all".

In contrast your proposal of nil would mean "default even for those things
written before".
Furthermore by splitting the thing into t and nil you'll not only make the
code bigger, but you'll also lose flexibility since it won't be possible to
specify a default for a subset of the face spec.

        Stefan