Re: Documentation for custom-file - is not (load custom-file) needed?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Documentation for custom-file - is not (load custom-file) needed?
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 20:56:12 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan Monnier" <address@hidden>

> How 'bout something like the following:
>
> 1 - remove custom-file

Yes.

> 2 - custom-set-variables does internally:
>
>     (push load-file-name custom-files)

Could load-file-name be exchanged with (buffer-file-name) if the user is
doing an interactive eval-buffer?

> 3 - when saving, if custom-files is nil, use .emacs, if it has length 1,
use
>     (car custom-files), otherwise query the user to know where to save
>     the settings and whether to remove the settings in the other files.

I believe this is a useful idea for cleaning up if the user loads several
"custom-files". Maybe this check should be done in custom-set-variable
instead of when saving? Or in both places? The reason for doing the check
when writing could perhaps be that this might make it easier to write
functions later for helping when changing "custom-file".

BTW is every occurence of custom-set-variables in "custom-file" deleted
before writing the custom-set-variables entry?

- Lennart