Re: `inhibit-mark-movement'

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: `inhibit-mark-movement'
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 03:48:05 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
> I wouldn't call that "fix", rather "change".  It's not like the current
> behavior is clearly broken and your suggested new one is The Right Way.
>
> Maybe your new behavior is overall preferable, I don't know, but I do know
> that it would surprise me (I use transient-mark-mode and M-C-SPC pretty
> heavily).

Yes, it's rather change than a fix, but I believe it is a change
for the better.

It's too bad when M-C-SPC deactivates the marked region if a previous
command is not a M-C-SPC, but some other point movement command used
to change the beginning of the marked region.

Currently M-C-SPC starts marking a new region even in the region is
active.  But to start a new region it is possible to deactivate the
current region with C-g, and start a new marking.  So it's not
a problem.  There was no release where consequent marking commands
extend the region.  So it's not too late to change this behavior.

This change also allows to do such useful things as switching the
direction of the region marking, i.e. M-C-SPC C-x C-x M-C-SPC M-C-SPC
and it continues extending the region in the reverse direction towards
the beginning of the buffer.  Another C-x C-x M-C-SPC and it continues
extending the marked region forwards again.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/