Re: [Emacs-trunk-diffs] Changes to emacs/etc/NEWS

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-trunk-diffs] Changes to emacs/etc/NEWS
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 23:59:40 -0500

>     I don't find the merged behavior we have right now unclean at all:
>     The `t' simply means: "default from now on".

> That is quite unusual, for Emacs Lisp, and is certainly not what
> t should mean.

Obviously one can't argue about taste.

>              , but you'll also lose flexibility since it won't be possible to
>     specify a default for a subset of the face spec.

> How much is that flexibility worth, in practice?
> Which cases use it?

Well, to me when you replace 1 simple concept with 2 less powerful ones,
those two concepts need to significantly simpler in order to make up for the
conceptual cost of having 2 concepts rather than just one (and losing a bit
of generality at the same time).

In the present case I just don't even find any of your two "else" and
"default" concepts to be noticeably simpler than mine.

But it's your code,

        Stefan