Re: Documentation for custom-file - is not (load custom-file) needed?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Documentation for custom-file - is not (load custom-file) needed?
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 17:06:11 -0500

    I should have said "saved" through Custom, not "customized" through
    Custom.  If the user saves the value of `custom-file' through Custom
    and all we do is write a setq into .emacs, should we set `saved-value'
    to the new value and set all the other properties that Custom sets
    when the user saves a value for an option through Custom.  That was my
    question.

The amount of mail on this has been so large that I can't afford to
read it all.  (To read these messages and understand them is not quick
work.)

If the rest of you arrive at some sort of partial agreement, I'd like
one of you who can explain the most clearly to explain them to me, and
then I will think about what to do.