Re: [Emacs-trunk-diffs] Changes to emacs/lisp/faces.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-trunk-diffs] Changes to emacs/lisp/faces.el
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 09:51:40 -0500

>> As for ellipses, there should at least be a simple option.  I hate
>> it, when some wizardry can't be told apart at first sight.

Then you'll also want a simple option to make fully invisible text visible
(or add some visual marker), and you'll also want visual markers for
text-compositions.  And you'll also want to highlight TABs, trailing
whitespace, ...

There are already packages that do some kind of "show markup", and they
could easily be extended to highlight ellipsis and do such things.

But when a package marks some text as "invisible", the default behavior of
Emacs should be to make the text invisible full stop.  Similarly, when
a package makes a piece of text "invisible with ellipsis", then the default
behavior should be to put an ellipsis full stop.  If those things confuse
the user it's a problem with the package, not with the default way to handle
invisible text.

        Stefan